Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pin Up Girl's Cleanse

Since so many people have been emailing me and posting me messages on Facebook about my cleanse, I decided to give you "a day in the life" so that you can see how I am applying the No Wheat/No Sweet/No Meat/ No Teat cleanse into my life. I am going to break down each category followed by a couple of day's worth of meal/menu ideas.

No Wheat:


This section of the cleanse isn't overly difficult for me personally as I am gluten sensitive so I avoid wheat anyway. However, on the cleanse, the No Wheat section includes flour products of any kind (gluten or otherwise). This includes, crackers, bread, muffins, sauces, gravy, etc. I do allow brown rice cakes but just occasionally.

No Sweet:


The cleanse does not allow sugar of any kind except for the natural sugars found in fruit. I do not drink fruit juices, though, as the sugar equivalent and the effects on the body can be very similar to sugary sodas. The No Sweet category includes molasses, maple syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, Aspartame, sugar replacements and honey. I suppose Stevia would be fine occasionally but I am personally avoiding all sugars.

No Meat:

Although chicken and fish are allowed, red meat and pork are not.

No Teat:

I came up with this term for the No Dairy section as I liked how all of the words ended with "eet/eat" but the Dairy one just didn't fit so..............Some cleanses allow for plain yogourt and butter but I am avoiding ALL dairy for the ten days. Instead of butter I am using light tasting olive oil drizzled on vegetables, for example.

As well as the top four categories, I am avoiding caffeine, alcohol and anything processed even if it is "natural."

A typical day looks like this:

**First thing in morning I have either a cup of herbal detox tea or a warm glass of water with juice of a half a lemon in it
Breakfast at 7am:
1. 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, sliced banana, some walnut pieces and almond milk
2. 2 brown rice cakes with almond butter and a sliced apple
3. 4 egg whites plus one egg yolk omelette with vegetables of your choice and a sliced apple.

Mid Morning Snack at 10am:
Handful of carrot sticks with 2 tbsp. or so of hummous

Lunch at 1pm:
1. Two cups of organic greens topped with either baked salmon or 3/4 cup of chickpeas, chopped peppers, sliced english cucumber, blueberries (if using salmon), sunflower seeds and 1 tbsp. pf light tasting olive oil with 1 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar.
2. Quinoa Tabbouleh  (a salad made with cooked quinoa, chopped red peppers, diced english cucumbers, chickpeas, loads of chopped fresh parsley and a dressing made of equal parts olive oil/lemon juice and fresh garlic. You can have a good cup of this for lunch instead of the salad above.

Mid. afternoon snack at 3pm:
Gala apple sliced with 1/4 cup of raw almonds or raw trail mix and a cup of herbal tea

Dinner at 5:30-6pm:

1. PC's Blue Menu Halibut steaks topped with halved grape tomatoes, lemon juice and fresh cilantro salsa served with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and broccoli. I drizzle light tasting olive oil on the broccoli.
2. Baked 4 oz. chicken breast brushed with light tasting olive oil and sprinkled with a herb/spice roasted chicken blend. Served sliced with yellow beans, Brussels sprouts and 1/2 brown rice
3. Baked salmon fillet brushed with olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper and served with roasted sweet potatoes that were previously tossed in light tasting olive oil/sea salt and pepper and a vegetable f your choice.

Basically you want to make sure servings are not larger than the size of your fist. This is a good rule to follow. I measure my olive oil and one "drizzle" equals a teaspoon. Correct portions are very important and you will soon discover you were probably eating enough for 2 people :-) I never feel hungry because I eat every 3-4 hours so keep my blood sugar stable. I drink lots of water and herbal teas. I am feeling very, very good and I may continue with this cleanse for fourteen days. Once the cleanse is over the only changes will be occasional red meat, pasta, bread and natural sugar like honey and maple syrup. I still intend to keep my dairy intake down except for plain yogourt as I suspect my body prefers life without it. And I think I may kick my coffee habit for good.

I hope those of you who are making your own lifestyle changes are doing well.You really need to take it one day at a time and expect the first 3 days to be pretty rough. Soon, you will feel very good and your body will appreciate and work more efficiently especially your bowels :-)

If you have any questions, post them below.

1 comment:

  1. My cleanse is similar although I do have multigrain toast a couple of times a week, and high fibre pasta, and also natural sugars ie honey or maple syrup. I am also taking natural herb supplements for my liver, pancreas, intestines, etc recommended by my nutritionist.
    And I echo what you said- the first few days are kind of tough but then you just feel better and it's not so bad to finish the time you're cleansing (10 days for me). Thankfully, I have had no headaches!

    ReplyDelete